Friday, May 13, 2011

Poly Styrene - I LUV UR SNEAKERS

I ordered Poly Styrene's new cd, Generation Indigo, the day it was released in the U.S.  Checking out the new release, I was so thrilled to see the lyrics to the first song, I LUV UR SNEAKERS. Any song that includes references to vegan shoes is an instant hit with me:  

the canvas
the color
the rubber toe
no animal died
or lost its soul
in the production of
your beautiful sneakers


I'm still mourning Poly's recent death. Ever since hearing an X-Ray Spex song on a local independent radio station when I was about 16 or 17, I've been enthralled with that band and Poly's work. From her solo record Gods and Goddesses, here is another vegetarian reference that Poly included in her music:

Talk about religion
I say don't do no thing no harm-no no
Talk about religion
I say I'm vegetarian


She'll be missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment